Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Blogging for Books Review


I recently stumbled on a program called Blogging For Books.  I thought, I blog, I love books, I should check this out! And I'm glad I did.  You create an account on their website, answer a few questions and then you pick a book out of their selection and they will send it to you for free. All they ask is that you blog about it and leave a review on their website! If you love to read, please do this!

I received the book The Execution of Noa P. Singleton by Elizabeth L. Silver.

From Goodreads:
Noa P. Singleton never spoke a word in her own defense throughout a brief trial that ended with a jury finding her guilty of first-degree murder. Ten years later, having accepted her fate, she sits on death row in a maximum-security penitentiary, just six months away from her execution date. 
Seemingly out of the blue, she is visited by Marlene Dixon, a high-powered Philadelphia attorney who is also the mother of the woman Noa was imprisoned for killing. Marlene tells Noa that she has changed her mind about the death penalty and Noa’s sentence, and will do everything in her considerable power to convince the governor to commute the sentence to life in prison, in return for the one thing Noa is unwilling to trade: her story.
      Marlene desperately wants Noa to reveal the events that led to her daughter’s death – events that Noa has never shared with a soul. With death looming, Marlene believes that Noa may finally give her the answers she needs, though Noa is far from convinced that Marlene deserves the salvation she alone can deliver. Inextricably linked by murder but with very different goals, Noa and Marlene wrestle with the sentences life itself can impose while they confront the best and worst of what makes us human in this haunting tale of love, anguish, and deception.

I saw some mixed reviews on this book so I wasn't sure what to expect, but I seriously loved it! I was really into it and was constantly trying to find out if Noa was innocent or actually guilty.  The author did a great job peeling off the layers of the story to find out exactly what happened between Noa and Sarah.  I love books that really show the dark side of people and this book does exactly that. 

I'm a pretty firm believer in Capital Punishment for murder but at the same time, I hate to think that people that might actually be innocent, could be on Death Row.  This book really made me think though.  I would like to elaborate more on that, but you really need to read the book and then we can discuss this. :)  

I would say if you liked Gone Girl, you will like this. And just so you know, I loved Gone Girl, even the ending!

I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review.
 photo 54E95944B0DCE48D109E13FC846FDD80_zpsce90f934.png

No comments:

Post a Comment